In 2019 I was involved in the “Energy Conscious Organisation” initiative promoted by the Energy Services and Technology Association. This programme is about behaviour change not in the normal sense (something which organisations promote on the shop floor) but fostering a more holistic approach, bringing in the design and procurement of assets, for example, or addressing maintenance policies. It amounts to organisational culture change drawing in management and professional functions. I think an “Energy Conscious Organisation” could be characterised as follows. It minimises its use of fuel and electricity by…
- Engaging and involving everyone at all levels and in all functions;
- Encouraging vigilance, facilitating resolution of problems and exploiting opportunities;
- Developing individuals’ skills and knowledge as needed;
- Adapting its policies and processes to guarantee continual improvement;
- Measuring, monitoring and reporting the results
For brevity we could reduce this to five watchwords: Vigilance—Engagement—Skills—Monitoring—Adaptation. If only that had a memorable acronym.