ESOS is the UK government’s scheme for mandatory energy assessments which must be reviewed and signed off by lead assessors who are on one of the approved registers. We are now in the third compliance period, with a submission deadline in December 2023.
I run a closed LinkedIn group for people actively engaged with ESOS; it provides a useful forum with high-quality discussion.
- ESOS Regulations 2014. This version has been marked up to show various amendments enacted in 2015, 2016 and 2018;
- Current scheme guidance from the Environment Agency (this is now published as a web page and PDF format is no longer being provided).
These are documents which I have developed to support the ESOS assessment process during the first compliance period, and have since revised in the light of experience:
- A project checklist which itemises the ESOS process step by step, showing the questions that a lead assessor will need to ask;
- An evidence pack checklist indicating which items could typically be included in your assessment report and which filed separately;
- A suggested minimal assessment report outline; and
- a model participant declaration form. This is the document which the lead assessor signs to indicate that the participant complies with the ESOS Regulations.