ESOS is the UK government’s scheme for mandatory energy assessments which must be reviewed and signed off by assessors who are on one of the approved registers. We are now in the third compliance period, with a submission deadline in December 2023.
I run a closed LinkedIn group for people actively engaged with ESOS; it provides a useful forum with lots of high-quality discussion.
- NEW: BEIS consultation document on the future of the scheme (closes 28 Sept 2021)
- ESOS Regulations 2014. This version has been marked up to show various amendments enacted in 2015 and 2016 and there was a subsequent amendment SI 2018 1342 which expresses qualifying turnover as £44M and balance sheet as £38M.
- Version 7 of the scheme guidance from the Environment Agency (February 2021). This is a web page and PDF format is no longer being provided;
- For historical interest: relevant abstracts from Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive
These are documents which I have developed to support the ESOS assessment process. I used them for my assignments during the first phase and have since revised them in the light of experience:
- A project checklist which itemises the ESOS process step by step, showing the questions that a lead assessor will need to ask;
- An evidence pack checklist indicating which items could typically be included in your assessment report and which filed separately;
- A suggested minimal assessment report outline; and
- a model participant declaration form. This is the document which the lead assessor signs to indicate that the participant complies with the ESOS Regulations.